Welcome to Bridges of Indiana's Blog!

Welcome to Bridges of Indiana's Blog!

Founded in 2000 by a mother who has a child with autism, Bridges of Indiana is an agency that provides services for individuals with disabilities as well as the aging population. These services include residential services, community habilitation servicse, respite services, music therapy, recreational therapy, behavioral management, and employment services. Bridges of Indiana primarily performs these services in the home and in the community. Dedicated to providing quality services, this agency believes in individualism and independence.

This blog will be used in several different ways; to update the disability population on Indiana legislature, provide informaiton to Bridges of Indiana employees, give insight into the agency, along with several other important information.

Friday, July 29, 2011

A Fun Message from our CFO

Bridges of Indiana has decided to jump into social media full force this year and all members of management have been asked to write a blog. As CFO, I considered blogging about financial changes or updates to accounting policy that may have an impact on Bridges of Indiana. The first thing that came to my mind was BORING! If I was looking at the company website or a newsletter and saw anything dealing with financial updates or changes in accounting policy/regulation I would probably NOT READ IT. So being a risk taker I decided not to blog about anything financial but instead write about a strong passion of mine…. Lacrosse.

Growing up on the east coast, I have been involved in lacrosse since I was 5, playing and coaching. I am currently the head coach of the Guerin Catholic High School girls’ lacrosse team. Over the past year, I have been trying to think of ways to make the sport accessible to anyone in Indiana especially our consumers. To date I have only been about to reach out to two different organizations, Wheelchair Lacrosse and Lacrosse for Autism.

Wheelchair lacrosse was founded in California by Ryan Baker and Bill Lundstrom a few years ago. What started as two guys looking for new challenges has turned into an entire lacrosse movement that spans the United States and Canada. There is huge support from US Lacrosse (the governing body of all levels of lacrosse in the United States) which has had a very positive impact on the growth. It is my hope to get a league established in Indiana and become the Midwest hub of the sport. To date, I have contacted both Ryan and Bill and they are willing to help get things rolling. I am just in need of a location. It looks like the best location is an old roller rink. If anyone knows of one or has an idea please reach out to me. For more information you can visit www.wheelchairlacrosse.com.

Lacrosse for Autism is a great organization located primarily on the east coast. Their mission has been to raise awareness and provide an opportunity for children with Autism to learn and play the sport. They can be found at www.lax4autism.com. The only problem is that they do not have a presence in Indiana…. yet ... I would like to take care of that.

So here I am. I have some great ideas, coaches, player mentors, access to fields, and officials. If I don’t have something I can get it. I just do not know the hows and whos in order to get some interest and grow this into something pretty cool. So I am reaching out to you blog readers for help. I am a coach and a financial guy. I know nothing about getting something like this rolling.

So what’s stopping you?
Brian Billand, CFO

No comments:

Post a Comment